Thursday, February 16, 2012

from extrovert to introvert


I once believed that personality types didn't change. Maybe they don't, but like a trained branch, the pressure of circumstances alter one's natural bent. The difficult events of our lives have pretty drastically altered the margins I require to be "re-energized", or even to feel normal. As much as I love a great conversation with a friend and value transparency (that much hasn't changed), the inner dialogue must percolate a great deal longer. While it is sometimes good to push through feelings of withdrawal, mostly I've realized I should heed them. They are my red flags. Regrettably, I've learned that if I place myself in social situations prematurely, the filter over heart and mouth slips and I'll say things I don't ultimately mean. Rather than helping anyone, the burden becomes heavier. Does that make sense?

4 comments:

Naomi said...

I used to think the same, Amy. I've come to not only appreciate space and inner dialogue, but need it. Could never have imagined that 20 years ago. :)

emily said...

So true, so true. Thanks for these insightful words

Susannah said...

Yes Amy, that does make sense. Thank you for sharing. In light of all that trauma you have been through you carry yourself with such a calm strength.

Amy said...

Thank you for saying so Susi. :)