Friday, February 10, 2012

friendsick


There is a Portuguese word that doesn't have a direct translation to English. It's kind of frustrating not to have a suitable word, actually. The word is "saudades" which translates something like "missings". One would say, "I have missings". Doesn't work. I'm forced to choose other words like homesick but that's not it because it's about people. I don't just miss people I am a bit heartsick about it -- not to be overly dramatic. So friendsick, my own made up word. Really, why do we have carsick, homesick, heartsick and not friendsick?

It's hard not having history even if the new people you meet are wonderful. I sense the promise of friendship and trust the Lord with these seedlings. But the sheltering trees, the fortresses that shared experiences have built amongst these towering pillars, a beautiful source of nourishment... these, I miss.

A simple question like, "How many children do you have?" can be a bit angsty. I don't want to be that way. After all, I have dealt with this for a few years now --just not to this degree. And not without softer places to fall, places of understanding. Of knowing.

I'm ok. I just have missings.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

There are many of us here in this household that are desperately "friendsick" too......more than we can say!

Naomi said...

to morrendo de saudades aqui, amiga! and I can relate to meeting wonderful people, but having no history with them. it takes time to build that. abracos!!

Anonymous said...

Missing you. Thankful for your friendship in Christ. So rich.

Adela

emily said...

Me, too.

Turquoise Gates said...

An animal other than bunny in her arms. Will wonders never cease.