Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Seen


He cups my face;
Takes my taste to his lips
O self, close your eyes
and see

*"What sacred delight
What infinite wonder
I am precious in your sight
You love me like no other
"

At sink,
wiping down a days grime
Close your eyes to see
a Man washing dirt
off disciples feet

At table, not overly wise
to laugh, to share
his day and ours
O self, see?

Not eloquent as the world perhaps
Rather, a sight other-worldly

At break of dawn, a man who prays
not proud (or loud) but sure
of heart

I see
His very self,
inscribed with love
for me


*stanza in bold is the chorus to a song by Sunday drive, entitled Sacred Delight

3 comments:

Ginger said...

beautiful. He is a rich inheritance for your children and a special treasure for you, Amy. Happy Birthday, Steve. He loves you so much.
So do we. ;)

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday late to the old man! Ha ha - I'll be celebrating the same number next month so I can say that! I am so thankful for the wonderful husband you are to Amy and dad to the girls. Have to say though - the picture choked me up.....it reminds me of all those days you would come home from work and find Amy and I gabbing away. You would just chuckle and start on dinner while I tried to skidaddle out the door! We miss you all so and your smiles and joy......

Turquoise Gates said...

No words for the beauty of this piece! I am contemplating my own annual Valentine's Day post ("View from the ... year") and now I am completely stumped. Oh, to be a poet!