Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Am Rich, Rich, Rich!

Years ago, I scrawled a children's poem with this title. It is about friends. Wonderful, real, faithful friends.

Tomorrow, dear Naomi is stopping by for a last good-bye before they head cross country, then back home to Mozambique. Tuesday evening their family and Trudgens gathered here for shared food, warm company, and laughter. The kids all prepared a show for us, the acting out of a hilarious joke, ending with a q&a for the talented cast. So very cute! It struck me all at once, that we have known every one of our *combined* eleven children since infancy (or in Ayisha's case both Naomi and Ginger knew her in Malawi as a toddler, even before we did). That at one time, we couples sat around the table as newlyweds, full of ideals, full of ourselves, and full of somewhat untested faith. We have celebrated each other's babies, grieved our losses, wrestled through heartache, and dashed dreams together. We have seen each other through glorious victories as well as more subtle changes, perhaps recognizable only within the context of old relationships. We know each other's strengths and weaknesses well. I know I have been loved despite glaring character flaws, aggravating habits, and a sinful heart. Love has covered over a multitude of sins and youthful folly. I have been loved far better than I could ever hope to love. These friends are honest, devoted, transparent and full of grace. I see Jesus in them. I know Christ's love better because of them. I am accepted by them. And this is no small thing.

Tomorrow, because Naomi and I both have MK (missionary kid) issues, we won't say good-bye really. We'll say a quick, "See ya later!", give a deep hug and pretend poorly that it is just another day. Yes, we'll insist that it is only a matter of time (DAYS) before we live down the street from each other, when we can just pop over for a good cup of tea, embarrass our children with ridiculously loud, thigh slapping laughter, debate books, and basically spill our guts. With each passing year, I am more and more convinced.

That, truly, I am rich beyond measure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is beautiful. it makes my heart sweet-sad for lost years, and hopeful for forever-reunions with friends missed and friends not yet met. i love you, aim! and i rejoice with you!

Naomi said...

Amy, you're the best! Missing you already. Saudades e mil beijos! Naomi

Stream of Consciousness said...

Oh Amy, it's so important to celebrate blessings like the time you guys have just had together...I identify so wholeheartedly with your feelings on 'goodbyes' don't we all know them just too well...Love to you all, Chloƫ

Special Delivery said...

I love these types of friendships. They hold us accountable and allow us to grow! What a blessing, indeed! BTW-I am not an MK kid, but I felt, looking back, that our goodbye was very similar. I wish I would have lingered more. And, I rarely have ANY regrets (as you may remember). Miss you!