Wednesday, March 7, 2012

song in the night...



For 231 days, terrorists held my dad in captivity on the other side of the world. Waiting for news laced hope with dread since news translated to wild demands and threats. The psalmists words nourished us day and night. Waiting on the Lord is difficult work. To be still and know that He is God, rather than wringing our hearts, does not come naturally to me. I'm still amazed, then, how singing in the very face of terror, is a flame that spreads peace and strength. It blazes deep within and without, proclaiming love and truth to my soul while surrounding us with flames that cannot be overcome by arrows of fear and doubt.

"On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night,
Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I stay close to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm. 63:6-8

Wherever we are today, whether within the surging storm or upon a day of gentle breeze, let us sing in the shadow of His wings... As for me, I want to remember that while the world can understand praise in fair weather, it is confounded by sounds of adoration when all seems lost. May the call ring true and clear...come join the song of sinners and angels...

Praise to our glorious King!

5 comments:

Susannah said...

Thank you Amy. Esther and I have joined you today.

Naomi said...

When I've found myself thrown into despair, wrapped with fear...it was singing, proclaiming the goodness of God, praising...these things became my armor against the enemy. To praise and sing when it makes no earthly sense.

Turquoise Gates said...

I remember the only time similar to this in my own life - when we were expunged from our last church - an old, torn at the binding hymnal became my constant companion (along with my Bible, journal, and a box of Kleenexes). It was a horribly difficult time of suffering - you know that almost as well as I. But those ancient words of the saints, strung to tune, mounted guard over my heart when "all else was sinking sand". For me it was that hymnal that was my Psalms in my time of need.

Turquoise Gates said...

OH - and is the wall of crosses in your new house? Or somewhere else?

Amy said...

Yes, Gen, I remember well...

The wall of crosses was in a tiny court yard of a home in Arizona where I did a photo shoot. I loved it!