Thursday, September 18, 2008

spring of life

"It is impossible for us to make the duties of our lot minister to our sanctification without a habit of devout fellowship with God. This is the spring of our life, and strength of it. It is prayer, meditation, and converse with God, that refreshes, restores, and renews the temper of our minds at all times, under all trials, after all conflicts with the world. By this contact with the world unseen we receive continual accesses of strength. Without his healing and refreshing of spirit, duties grow to be burdens, the events of life chafe our temper, employments lower the tone of our minds, and we become fretful, irritable, and impatient."

H.E. Manning


"Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart." Col. 4:2

5 comments:

Emily said...

Very profound. Thanks for this. I'm still not quite sure where I stand on this (our Bible studies are missed, believe me) but it's something to meditate on nonetheless.

Unknown said...

Yes, Lord, and amen. thank you for the reminder.

Tracy said...

That is for sure - story of my last week of fretting and nonsense!

Amy said...

Em, I'm missing our talks (and laughs)! Thanks for keeping the lines of communication open. I love you!

Emily said...

Love YOU. I think we should probably email too. Because I like my stalking to extend to all kinds of media. ;-)