Monday, August 11, 2008

great find (thanks Nichole!)


Thanks to my neighbor friend's great eye, I got a new baking center for my kitchen! The old piece was unusual put a bit too rustic (like don't run your hand across it or you'll get blisters, rustic). The girls are regular sous chefs these days and I was needing a little breathing room while wielding dangerous weapons! As you may be aware, we have had our own "series of unfortunate events" related to digit removal in our family. Refraining from such opportunities only seems wise! So my neighbor, an avid bargain shopper, ran across this dark brown buffet (with great lines) for fifty bucks at Goodwill! Can you believe it?! Anyway, I bought it, painted and distressed it (actually the girls happily did that part) then had it topped with marble. Serendipitously, I found a remnant of Vermont white marble at a stone yard down the street. It turns out that the ambassador to India was building a house in the valley (heaven knows why) and had shipped crate loads of the stuff for his humble abode. I purchased a flawless remnant for a song! Yippee!

5 comments:

Turquoise Gates said...

What a great find! Is that a gigantic container of rice on the top shelf? I didn't know glass jars came in those gargantuan proportions! And I think your problems may stem from "yielding" a knife rather than wielding it... ;-)

Wish I could see the baking center in person...

Amy said...

Heehee! Now I HAVE to fix it! :)
No, that's not rice, it's wheat.
I think the large containers are
great because I don't have to
keep back up staples in the pantry.

Wish I could see YOU in person...

Unknown said...

can i just come live at your house??!! and thanks for the kind compliments - means a lot from you. i'll take criticism from you too at my email if you feel inclined! lol.

Ginger said...

Love it! It really is as beautiful in person as it is in the pic! The shot all blown out like that is GORGEOUS! Wishing I was sitting in your kitchen for tea right now!

Kerith said...

That is too adorable!!! I love it. How creative you are.